Tuesday, May 23, 2006



Transmission Delay


Found this pattern pretty often now: I feel strongly about something, I blog about it with quite intense wordings, somebody read it the day after and leave a comment, I read the comment and cannot find the same emotion I have at the time of writing, so I reply to the comment giving a totally different atmosphere.

I edit (and re-edit) all my writings, even if it's a simple two-line email reply -- I'm that obsessed. (But hey, interpretation is everything!) But rereading something two minutes after it is written is very different from rereading it with a span of a night's sleep or a day's worth of events. And certainly it's a good thing that the (usually bad) feelings never stays for long.

So, since it is such a fleeting thing, is it worth writing about on the first place? Or is it exactly because it is fleeting, that we should write about it while it hasn't passed? We who like to write sometimes write just for the sake of writing -- sharing links and general happiness are fine, but how about the negative waves I'm sending off with my frustrated blogs?

At this point, reminded of Tracy's comment. We've been singing some Chinese songs for our prison visits, since the community there is mostly Chinese. Our leader said to get more cheerful songs to lift up the spirits, and Tracy said, how to get more cheerful songs, people usually write songs when they are depressed what. =D

Of course, just a half-serious comment. From the statistics of Chinese songs we do have a lot more heartbroken songs than joyful ones. I think I went to a discussion a long time ago about this, where somebody said that negative emotions tend to be stronger than positive ones, and somebody else disagreed, citing as example positive actions inspired by love (without attachment, at that) if I remember correctly. And you know this kind of discussion has no conclusion, or if any then I don't remember, heh heh.

So is it also true that we find more angry blogs than happy ones? Yet, maybe it should be taken as a good sign that people take out their frustration on webpages and share their joy with other living people? =)


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, there are as many "angry blogs" (if you call them that) as any other types of blogs.

that's why we, blog-readers, read blogs; so many different things to read about : )

I, however, have no difficulty of getting into the situation during which I wrote a certain entry. Maybe different people has different tendency and attitude towards things from the past, I'm not sure.

Ziggy McGee said...

well, after reading your post, i can but hold myself to post a comment =p.
ahh, the urge to express opinions..

I, too, have the same experience just like you had before. I, too, re-edit my writing over and over again. The first blog posts I have spent like almost about an hour, for a single entry. The emotion is dwindling. That's why people always said, the first experience is always the best.

I find it too time-consuming, managing a blog like that. And you should question yourself then, what is the purpose of you blogging?

Ppl have different reasons. I've read some blogger post and discuss abt this interesting issue.

As for me, blogs are like photos. It captures the moments, those moments that I want to re-look along the way. So I want to let the emotion there. Be it good or bad emotion.

Abt song-writing, hahaha, your friend is funny as well as honest.
My point of view is this: writing cheerful song are much more difficult then sad ones. I won't say negative emotions is stronger than positive ones. But when ppl depressed it's more easy for them to be true to their heart and express it out. Writing a "good" love song or love poem is much more difficult than song/poem about jealousy or hatred. Ppl easily trapped into cheesy lines and cliche expressions.
Not many ppl can produce such a meaningful love poem. Likewise, cheerful song.

Abt blog re-editing, what i do now is this: i stop re-editing my entries. at most, i will only review my entry once before i publish it out, paying attention to words that could potentially offensive to someone.
otherwise, i don't even bother abt grammatical mistake. just like snapping a photo, once is done, it's done. it had capture the moment. just enjoy it.

Ziggy McGee said...

i just realise, prob i wrote too much a line for a comment. sorry for spamming your blog, vy =p.

btw, on the contrary, i moved back to easyjournal.com. it's now aoisora.easyjournal.com. the reason you can find there ^^.