Thursday, January 04, 2007



Rainbow-Coloured Chilli


or: Cardiogram II (I)


Who I am is up to you
any colour your lenses refract
    yellow through blue, or authentic green,
        boring? confusing?
free to see only what you want to see.


Who I am is up to us
some rule or other we choose to play by
    the tune I sing, the tone you sound,
        mono? harmony? counter melody?
as much your part as it is from me.


A function of life,
    that neither do I know;
continuous approximation in time
    that I nevertheless follow

in-built, in check, in the making --
    the book unwritten as they say,*
    the world changing as we speak,
-- who I am, is up to me.



* ref.
Natasha Bedingfield

Further note: Rainbow-Coloured Chilli is the translated title of a Mitsuru Adachi series. It popped into my mind when writing the first verse, so it became the working title. The storyline has nothing to do with this piece.


No comments: