Tuesday, December 26, 2006



The Last Name


Hooh, right after a post on ikite (living on), here's a post on desu (death).

I still don't get the point of having movie sneak previews the way they are practiced in our theatres; how is it different than if they just let it open a few days early? (Wiki seems to say this isn't the way sneak previews should be, though.) But anyhow, because of this practice, I got to see Death Note 2, which is to open on 28th, last night. (Confession of Pain is lined up for 28th too, so something's gotta give.)

(...Not that I'm so kiasu I have to see them right after they open, but the longer the delay, the higher the chance someone may spoil the plot for me. And this sounds like a denial, doesn't it.)

Wasn't as excited as I was for the first one, as I predicted the plot was going to deviate from the manga again... and it did. But I actually like it quite well. The movie in total (part one and two) covered only the first saga, which is a good thing, because the second saga was not as interesting in my opinion. They basically blended the manga ending into the ending of the first saga -- keeping true to its "The Last Name" sub-title, though with important differences in other aspects -- and in doing so, blended a few new roles into existing ones. Fewer characters, each taking up more significant roles, so things are kept simple and solid.

Some other simplifications did disappoint me -- the manga let the characters deduce the twists in certain situations, but the movie cut it short by revealing the truth from the beginning, which took out the fun. *pouts*

And again, I don't like the movie's Raito. Not intense enough. His personality changed quite a few times in the course of the plot, which was apparent in the manga (and I really found him lovable during certain periods of these) but this was lost in the movie. It might be hard to match the manga's expressiveness (especially when it's Obata Takeshi), but it was still a big letdown in that one climactic scene.

...And after watching Jinnai Takanori in Ichi Rittoru, I began to think such level of expressiveness is actually possible. =P May not be a fair comparison though, as that one was for the comical effect.

L was fine, and his role was even more entertaining this time around. They actually flashed his real name in the movie! It was never revealed in the manga, and I'd thought it best that way, as it kept him on the sacred ground that he'd been throughout the story. But now that I've missed reading it on the screen, it made me rather curious too. =D

It was also a pleasant surprise to get a closer take on Raito's family, which really touched me. Ziggy who watched this with me said that they seemed to be focusing more on emotions rather than the wits as the manga did. So all in all I'm quite satisfied with the movie being a complement to the manga, much like how it is with Fullmetal Alchemist manga and anime.

Was I unusually critical with movies only when they concerned the mangas I'm obsessed over? =D I can't seem to construct a gracious ending to this rambling, so I'll just stop it here, heh.


No comments: