Monday, December 25, 2006



Ikite ne... Zutto Ikite.



You said that God is unfair, but aren't you the one trying to do unfair things? ...If you just blame it on your illness, and throw away all the things you can do, can you still say that God is the one unfair?

-- Ikeuchi Shioka, "Ichi Rittoru no Namida"


Spent the whole weekend watching Ichi Rittoru no Namida. It's every bit as good and commands as many tears as everybody's been saying. T_T For sure my tears didn't fill up to 1 litre as the title says, but every single episode (even the first) has made me cry, a feat no other drama I've watched has achieved so far. =P Maybe it's the deep context that the script and the acting built up so well, I wanted to cry at the simplest words being said. *wipes wipes*

Story details can be found at the above link and easily google-able. Based on a real-life account, though it surely contains some fictitious bits. Dreaming Illusions has the subbed episodes, and I fully recommend watching it yourself. Just quoting the moral messages here feels flat to me, as what impressed me most was the unexpected wisdom in pragmatic opinions scattered throughout the series.


It can't be helped. Because, you see, parents are always thinking in terms of their children's benefit. Isn't that okay? It doesn't matter how the other parents put it. We're just ourselves and we need to think only about Aya.

-- Ikeuchi Mizuo, "Ichi Rittoru no Namida"


I like the father a lot, he looked like he was pulled out of a comic book straight, such expressive face! Found the actor who played Deathnote's L too. =D firefly warned me not to watch the drama for his sake since he didn't appear much; and I do find almost all of the characters very lovable, each of their predicaments and clumsy attempts at solutions close to home.

The episode outro was everything I think it could best be -- snapshots of the real person's life, diary quotes, colourized pictures of daily encounters like the classroom, the stairs, flowers, sky... They are beautifully captured, and the colourization seems to imply a new way of looking at these mundane things. All these backed by the gentle ending theme with very fitting lyrics.


It got me thinking that, here I am crying my throat sore for this one person, while, aren't there many others out there, in perhaps worse conditions, whom I never care about? I always think life is better viewed stripped from any drama, but some things are apparently hard to see when not dramatized, ne...


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

happy new year to you.

maybe this is as good time as any to say that I like your style of writing : ). It might get even better in 2007?

I happened to have audiobook of Anne Frank: Diary of A Young Girl, read by Winona Ryder, and I was really fascinated by how lively Winona retold the story. Unfortunately the audiobook is an abridged version.

Anonymous said...

i just realized that I commented the wrong entry (supposed to be on the Pain Unacquainted)

vy said...

laszlo: Happy new year to you too! Thanks for your visit and comment. =)

I'm also the type who's a bit particular about getting the unabridged version of things. =D But since you enjoyed it then it should be good to have.

I just learned from the book preface that there are several published version of this, with The Critical Edition being the most complete. So in case you're considering getting the book, you might want to go for that. =) Though it seems that The Definitive Edition is more commonly found.