Saturday, August 30, 2008



Of Machines and Men


Watched Wall-E. Enjoyed tremendously. =) It's impressive how simple the sources of humor are when there are so many hilarious moments in there.

[Warning for indirect spoilers below]

There's the moral message about what modern conveniences can do to us when taken to the extreme, but I'm totally in just for the cuteness. The straightforward, honest cuteness of robots whose idea of romance consists of hand-holding. As TS Eliot asked, "Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?" similarly I thought, "Where is the romance we have lost in sentimentality?"

The only thing that kept it from being perfect in my opinion is the oversimplified (or perhaps only unexplained?) resolution to that memory issue at the end. It's not like it couldn't be resolved without 'magic'-- just copy the data over, la. Though it might still require some Evangelion-style Ritsuko-jutsu to do that directly from the chip. (Actually, I think I'll love it even more if they put in this kind of hardware-level sci-fi action. Throw in some more memory corruption problem and I'll be sold.)

The trademark Pixar bonus clip felt a bit longer than necessary this time, but still all of us enjoyed it throughout.

Aside from the movie, was feeling a bit under the weather today with accumulated tiny disappointments in myself, which led to more disappointing acts committed towards various people around me. Should have apologized but the situations were rather too vague and awkward to, so I applied my usual strategy of 'acting normal, moving on'. Ah, sorry~~


No comments: