Thursday, March 06, 2008



Where Has All the Sunshine Gone?


I am quite ignorant about the current status of global warming (and virtually all world issues) and I don't know if the recent snowstorms in China (a rare awareness on my part) are a contradicting evidence to it or an orthogonal issue altogether; but as far as I am concerned these days, Singapore is TOO COLD.

(Sorry beforehand to readers currently in four-seasoned regions, as all the complaining that follows will totally ignore the fact that you all have it much worse than I do.)

I don't remember the rainy season lasting quite this long before... although my sense of time is never reliable at the first place. On the other hand, in a closed, windowless, air-conditioned room, my sense of an outside raining event is pretty accurate, if I do say so myself. In fact, in that same room now, I'm typing this entry with wool-gloved fingers, which are STILL freezing.

I was born and raised in a town located on the Equator Line on the globe. I would have attributed my sensitivity to that, if not for the fact that the rest of my family doesn't seem to have a problem with cold weather.

Neither did Eka, who came by the other day when the room temperature was at the ideal one-layered clothing level (to me), and, like some of my Singaporean/Malaysian labmates, thought it was too warm. While her hometown is further away from the Equator Line, its population and activity effectively achieve the same temperature level we have back there, I believe. So why?

Besides, having more body fat than she has, I would think I should be more resistant to cold, too. I'm not on a diet simply because I can't be bothered, not for the purpose of preserving body heat, but not getting it when I need it is still a bit disappointing.

Putting aside housewifey concerns such as sunshine-deprived laundry... I do like rain. I drank and used rain water growing up; I persuaded my mother into letting me help collecting it. When I was small, watching the heavy rain from the window often gave me a warm appreciative feeling of having a home in which I'm safely protected.

Rain will make the flowers grow, says Eponine, and I too will be fine with a little fall of rain, or even not so little of it, if I can just figure out a way to keep myself warm.


No comments: