Friday, September 01, 2006



Stalking Cinema


Death Note is being made into a movie. Uwaaaah. =DDD

It's a two-part movie. Official site says part one is released June and part two November. In Japan, I assume. The Singapore release is 19 Oct for part one.

Now, hm, I want to watch. ^^; Then again, I've read the manga, and fans reviews of the movie are not very encouraging in terms of plot adaptation. Seeing how Eka felt about Harry Potter movies (which I didn't share since I haven't read the books) maybe I'll consider again when the time is near. =P

The reviews do praise the characters' portrayal, particularly L, who gets thicker eyeliner than Paul Twohill, but this one I readily forgive. =D (In the manga it's supposed to be eyebags, I think, unless I've been ignorant all this time.) It helps that Raito's character is already a bishounen (pretty boy) in the manga, because then the apparent tendency to cast pretty teenagers for manga-adapted movies/series is not much of a problem here. He kinda have to be handsome for the characterization to work, anyway. I recently saw the ad for the movie adaptation of Rough, and well yeah, I love Adachi's (adorably goofy) manga characters too much to tolerate the casts. Ah.

Anyway, it's a dark story. Trailer here. Shinigami Ryuuku is CG-ed and sufficiently ghostly, but I think I'll be able to handle that. =D Speaking of which I also got interested in How to Eat Fried Worms, a Fear Factor-ish kiddy comedy, but I've satisfied my curiosity with the trailers and I don't think I need to see more of those wiggly things on the wide screen, unless my movie buddy gets interested. ^^

But one definite stalking material is the tenor penguin with an accent (wonder who) in Happy Feet, opening end November. Been eyeing it since at least a month ago, heh.

And you know, by the end of this entry my mind is quite made up to go watch the movie that sparked this rambling. That probably means committing myself to the second part as well, unless I fail to adore Raito by the end of the first part, because part two will be the M/N saga already (i.e. no L). Am devoid of movies right now since there's not any that I'm particularly interested in, so three stalked movies don't seem too outrageous compared to my movie streak before this. Huaha.


4 comments:

Ashwin said...

I'm getting interested in manga comics after I started reading your entries. This movie looks interesting too.

Do you understand Japanese? This movie's in Japanese right?

vy said...

Woah, that's a speedy comment. =D

Yeah, the movie is in Japanese. I don't understand Japanese but I kind of assume they'll have subtitles since it's showing here. ^^ Even without subtitles I think I'll still try my luck. =D

Anonymous said...

ee...the death note actor looks like the main actor in Battle Royale. Not sure though heh. Looks like a good movie.

vy said...

Yep yep, that's Tatsuya Fujiwara from Battle Royale. Didn't know him back then... wish I had watched that movie. =P Hm, he sure played in a lot of dark movies ya.