Saturday, June 26, 2010



Sounds Surround


I am all warm and fuzzy after watching this romance movie called "Oto-na-ri":


The main premise revolves around two neighbours ["otonari"] who become familiar with each other only through the sounds ["oto"] they hear through the thin separating wall of their apartments. As such, most of the movie steers attention to sounds -- daily activities, nature stirring -- sounds that we rarely notice consciously, yet (as a character puts it) "you'll feel something is missing if they are not there" (this reminds me of what DIsk said about rendering natural scene effects). I'm usually more of a visual person, so this is a bit of an "ear opener"... It's beautiful.

Most of the characters are sincere and likable-- the only exception feels rather unnecessary and smells like plot device... but I can tolerate that. =D I like how the movie also stirs thoughts about taking responsibility of one's life (or another's) and what might be thought of as "fate". The psychological twists are a delight, while the event twists might have felt randomly convenient had I found it in a lighter content, but they work fine for me here as the other aspects are well connected.

It also helps that I happen to appreciate the sweetness of most of the gestures portrayed, but I think it's really quite recommendable as a drama. Please watch [listen to] it. *bows*


2 comments:

The Beans said...

That does sound like an interesting film. Is it quirky à la "Amélie?"

-French Bean

vy said...

This is more of a mellow drama I think, though I haven't seen Amelie so cannot compare. =)