Wednesday, June 16, 2010



The Good Doctor


I'm very impressed with my dentist today, so I feel the need to blog and help advertise his clinic, even though it doesn't seem to lack patients. =D

It's a dental clinic near where I stay at Ghim Moh, called Royce Dental Surgery. I've been having my regular cleaning/scaling there. They have two dentists; I didn't make my pick but the one who's been seeing me so far is Dr Ng. (Aside from him, a dental apprentice [forgot the term, sorry] only for cleaning.)

Today I went there with a GP referral because of the pain in my left jaw. I got it one fine morning after having fallen asleep in an awkward position ^^0 so I expected it to be some kind of sprain that should get well on its own (with a little help of medicated oil), but a week passed and the pain is still there, though only when the jaw joint is exercised, such as when I open my mouth wide ('dislocating' the jaw) or when I chew on something hard.

To cut the long story short, Dr Ng did some tests, concluded that it was inflammation, which might be curable with home remedy. He assured me against the GP's rather gloomy prediction (no harm done since she just mentioned possibilities and referred me to a dentist straight away), as he didn't think it was one of the worse possibilities, so there was no need for major treatment for now. He suggested I try applying ice compress on my own for a week. If this doesn't cure it, then only I need to return.

The impressive thing is, maybe as he thought he didn't do anything major for me, he didn't charge me any fee. ^^ We talked for quite some time, he was generous with explanations and I was quite satisfied with the conclusion, so I wouldn't have minded to pay the consultation fee. I guess that's one of the good things about independent clinics, as they can be flexible. (The GP I first consulted is from a major medical service company, and I did pay the consultation fee, without thinking it unjustified.)

I still need to see if the recommendation does solve the problem, but right now I am happy enough having consulted him. ^__^


No comments: