Tuesday, May 13, 2008



Loving Eyes Don't Ever See


While hunting for Doumoto Tsuyoshi's amusing PVs, I came across this.

Ayado Chie & Doumoto Tsuyoshi, "When A Man Loves A Woman" (Live on Sony's Our Music 2006)




Not my usual taste of music (though I've been fine with this particular song) but this impressed me quite a lot. The emotional effect on me is much greater than the original flowy rendition. (Arguably, for this type of song, seeing it live indeed does that to people, huh.)

Ayado Chie's voice. (Yes, I like it deep no matter if it's male or female.) And such ease. I'm really going to shift slowly into soul if that's where this kind of people is hanging around. I'm sure Eka would be glad to help move this process along. XD

Doumoto Tsuyoshi, an interesting person. I'm a bit partial for him already; always thought he had bad English though =D (as did his partner). He must have practiced hard for this one because he really did fine here. Though, what's up with him instead of her singing "So this man says he loves me"? XD

Well, treating this song as a whole it was perfectly normal, and this man -- as well as many songwriters who rarely come into our attention -- did write a song from a woman's POV before. But given his history of KinKi Kids antics, it kinda caught my attention, ufu.

We all know what an evil that "related videos" feature on YouTube is, so here's another great rendition by Magdolna Ruzsa on Hungarian Idol 2006... and since I'm undecided between the original Percy Sledge's version and the more popular Michael Bolton's rendition, here is their live duet.

Speaking of soul, here is another performance that I really love despite not being into the genre (yet):

Jamie Foxx & Alicia Keys, "Georgia On My Mind" (Live on Grammy 2005)



Such power... I should have made that move into soul long ago? XD I then discovered that Ayado Chie also did a cover, in a pretty unique style too, but I'm the type who stick to the first version that impressed me, which is Alicia's.

Man, this entry is really just one big YouTube link dump, isn't it? (Well, not that big.) I'm unstoppable when excited, heh.

I'm not following American Idol this time round, though. At all. I wonder myself at this lack of enthusiasm, but indeed, weighing the aspects that draw me (music, and... uh, nothing else?) and the aspects I'm simply indifferent about (reality TV, Western show) against my current fascination with J-entertainment (very Asian, and err... unconventional? XD) -- it's pretty clear where all my time will go. ^^


No comments: