Friday, May 27, 2011



A Flower By Any Other Language


I'm posting this for the unexpectedness value: when I saw the link to "Chinese version of Sekai ni Hitotsu Dake no Hana" I thought it would be the usual Chinese cover of a Japanese song by Chinese singers, but turned out it was SMAP themselves (the original Japanese singers, none of whom speak Chinese) singing it.



If I understand correctly they released this Chinese version for charity in support of the earthquake relief efforts. I've been out of touch with Japan entertainment news for quite a while, so I've only found out about this from the recent news about them serenading the Chinese Premier with this song during his Tokyo visit.

Pronunciation aside, I think the Chinese cover is really not too bad. It maintains most of the original meaning of the song without being overly translation-awkward, it rhymes well, and the overall thing is pretty amusing. =D Maybe it helps a lot that the song has pleasant and catchy melody to begin with. In fact, my favourite version of the song so far is the lyricless one:



...by a Chinese group, come to think of it. How great that music is universal, don't you think? =)


2 comments:

gusDon said...

Always lots of ways to express their sympathy... the song is also very elegant, very good...
My country is also often hit by the disaster, many victims and it's sad!

vy said...

Thanks for dropping by. =)

It's sad indeed, and the aftermaths of destruction might take years to recover from.. I hope the relief efforts will continue to support these countries in the rebuilding.