Wednesday, October 03, 2007



秋去夏來


Having escaped the chilly Beijing autumn, now back in hot, hot Singapore. =) Sore, dry throat is unfortunately carried over, but water and fruits should solve that soon.

First day in once-again unfamiliar SoC @ Law Link (nope, we didn't get the permission to change the road name), I kept turning my head at people who looked like any of my friends back there. Parting is such sweet sorrow, ah?



In some ways my time in China has made me more aware of my "roots" -- the social connectivity that my parents put a lot of emphasis in, really is a very important matter for Chinese. Most of our generation tend to put pragmatism first and favor low-maintenance relationships. It is convenient, it is pressure-free, and it is acceptable in our environment.

But having been in a stranger country and braced myself for the loneliness, yet didn't feel it for long... the warm friendliness of the people I just got to know really moved me. I could imagine myself in their shoes wouldn't have done so much.

Of course, as I realized in a recent conversation with dish, it also takes sincerity for that to work out. Still I think in most cases the connection first started with a sense of social duty: to get to know the ones you sit with, to take care of a junior -- before developing into a real friendship.

I guess in my awkwardness I didn't return their hospitality as much as I should have.. but I am quite resolved to pay better attention to the people around me, now. =) My roommates and I talked so much while I was there, that I found myself much more talkative these days.

Ah well, have lined up catching-up dinners and repeated stories throughout this week, while I'm still settling down for work. =D Next week, will have to dive into hard work again. ^^;


No comments: