Monday, March 05, 2007



Continued


As promised, on the topic of horrendous sinetrons (other stuff in separate entries later). Just realized I haven't explained this word for non-Indonesians: sinetron is an abbreviated term that (doesn't literally mean, but) refers to Indonesian TV series.

In short, I don't click with these. I guess a few years after their conception, most of the plot devices had become so cliched that I avoided watching them. My family tuned to these from time to time so I did peek into two series this time. Oh my, they're still the same since I last watched one many years ago. The pace felt very slow: we only tuned in like, four or five episodes apart, and they're still solving the same problem. Aiyah. But Mom said it's due to the amount of advertisements. =D

But mainly I avoid them because, somehow, watching them makes me irritated (they are supposed to entertain!). In every series I'm sure to find a totally annoying character who won't be reformed in a very long time, if at all. (In my case this is usually the magnified Cruella deVil or the glorified, whiny damsel in distress. Some nasty scheming stepsisters can still be entertaining.) Sometimes it's the conflicts that just feel petty; much drama about nothing.

(Yet, I saw one that was touching on homosexuality, but I didn't follow up on how it is resolved. I wonder if it's quite the trend nowadays since Brokeback Mountain?)

In comparison, I appreciate Singapore's local drama better now. Huhuh. There's the occasional annoying character and soapy stuff too, but at least they're always educational, with the not-so-subtle campaigns and all. =D

Haven't tuned back in though. I've wanted to catch Parental Guidance, but now that I have something on every Thursday evening... argh.


2 comments:

Ashwin said...

I thought they had something to do with cyclotrons when I saw them mentioned in your previous post! ;-)

BTW some nice movies being screened under the NUS Arts Festival, do check it out. I saw The Road Home and cried cause it was so beautiful!

vy said...

yodha: Oh, my bad. =DD My turn to check out what cyclotrons meant... hahah. Thanks for the tips! The movie definitely looks interesting. =)