Sunday, October 15, 2006



Happening


First time coming here without really anything to write about. =D *checks timestamp of last post* Eek, almost one month ya? Anyway, big deadline just passed. Not that I let such things stop me from writing *ahem* but I guess there just wasn't anything I wanted to urgently say. Was feeling quite pressurized before this, that sighs and huffs and hand-through-hair pretty much sum up what I want to let out. =D

So. Big deadline just passed. Who was it who said most of your work would be done one month before the deadline... very true in my case, heh. Actually, make that a week. Good thing my sup is as meticulous as me in writing (she once spent two hours on an abstract -- a paragraph, that is) or else she'd be hounding me for being so slow. I'm still a little shaky about the results, but I apply the usual tactic... what we can't justify, we bluff through. ^^0

Even got waken up by my sup's phone call this morning *hides* 'cause I missed her email last night and I overslept in compensation for the three-hour sleep I got the night before. Me lazy brat who can survive on four-hour sleep four days in a row (I believe that's the record) to stay up reading manga scans but not to edit academic papers. X(

So. Big deadline just passed. Someone's screaming that we've established that fact already. =D Immediately hopped into a taxi and not-so-successfully attempted to run through the Suntec crowd (difficult, I tell you) to watch The Departed with Eka. Felt quite bad that I made her miss the first few bits. Thot I'd be able to meet the deadline with some spare time, but apparently these things tend not to work that way. For future reference.

Anyway, I've watched Infernal Affairs and I loved it, so the fact that I don't hate The Departed (which really follows all major settings and plot flow of Infernal Affairs except the last part... if I remember correctly) may mean that the movie is actually very good. =D It has really interesting characters, even the minor ones, even the sidekick planted there for the sole purpose (or so I think) of tweaking the ending. The humour is also good.

Still, I like Infernal Affairs better. Maybe because I've watched it first. Maybe because the Chinese setting is more familiar. Maybe because it has Tony Leung. Hihi. *fangirl alert* I feel that Infernal Affairs established the background story better too, like the way they reveal the protagonist's identity, his touching relationship with the captain of police... and I think that extra ending in The Departed was unnecessary. Just to make the good guy win. I do think the romance in The Departed is done better -- I like that girl, while I cannot remember how it went in Infernal Affairs. Hmmm.

And oh, Leonardo looks more handsome with facial hair. Weird, I usually prefer the other way round, but I guess his clean face is just a bit too sweet for my taste. ...As if I had the pick. Right.

So. Big deadline... kidding. I'll spare you the overdose of repetitive style, though you could probably tell I myself am a sucker for it. ^^ So, after the movie, got Indonesian food for dinner and usual gossips/updates with Eka, then off to Chinatown for karaoke with Hady. =DD Plus all the tension before the submission deadline, what a happening weekend. When talking with Eka today we sort of mentioned how uneventful weekends were back in our undergraduate days, and that made me realize the extent of change I've gone through without really knowing it. *distant look* Time really does bring so much change so naturally.

So, next movie. Huaha. Death Note is opening next week! *yay yay yay* Must be the first movie I'm really waiting to be released. Actually, can't really figure out why. I've read the manga, I've recently heard from Dave that there's a TV anime version, I've downloaded and watched the first episode. And I'm still so excited over this live-action movie (that's how they call it). Must be a fangirl thing. =D And the more I look at the posters (quite surprised at how much publicity this is getting, considering it's a non-English movie) the more I like the actor who played L. Mwehehe. Plan to watch it on one of the coming weekdays, as my parents are coming to visit next Saturday.

Ah... life's so good. =D Another deadline end of this month, but what the heck. Fufufufufu.


3 comments:

Ashwin said...

I watched The Departed yesterday night with friends. Loved it! Such a star cast and everyone's performance is so powerful.

Anonymous said...

Second episode of Death Note. L made his first appearance... I am finally, totally, sold! =D

vy said...

Ash, agreed, great acting from all of the cast there. =)

Phoenix, I'm overjoyed to welcome you to the club. Huahauha. I just watched the second ep yesterday. I was happy enough with the manga but getting all these characters voiced (particularly Ryuuku and L) just took my obsession to a higher level. Hueuhehe.